Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Saturday 23 May 2020

20 From '82 (4) Angelic Upstarts Island Houston Texas 11th June 1982


Hey, I wonder what an early '80's Texan audience made of Mensi! Never compromising, always committed, the Upstarts have released some great material over the years. Inspired on seeing The Clash at Newcastle University in 1977, Mensi's passion for the punk spirit took him out of the colliery and into the pages of the music press.

Mensi sets out his and the band's table out here in this early Sounds interview from 1978.

I first saw them late on at the Marquee Club in London's Charing Cross Road in 1989. If the late '70's through to the early '80's represented the pinnacle of far-right violence, for overtly left wing political bands, such as the Upstarts, the threat of trouble carried right through to the end of the decade. At the Marquee that night, Anti-Fascist Action were present, searching punters for weapons and checking for indications of undesirable political affiliations, the reason being that threats had been received that suggested that the gig was going to be smashed up by nazi thugs.

Supporting that night was long-serving ranting poet, Attila the Stockbroker (in addition to Blaggers ITA) who mentioned the '89 gig in his 'Morning Post' column in 2015 as part of a piece on the Marquee Club.

'I did a show with my good mate John Otway there in the early ’80s and remember a tension-filled and storming night in 1989 when I supported Sunderland’s legendary Angelic Upstarts.

The previous year they had been attacked by fascists at a punk festival at the Astoria in London and the gig closed down, with the fascists vowing that the Upstarts would never play London again.

Anti Fascist Action laid down the gauntlet at one of the capital’s most high-profile venues, the fascists didn’t show and the gig was fantastic and a truly memorable night'.

The gig went on for a long time, with Mensi refusing to leave the stage.... I believe that he was having a good time! The Marquee management eventually pulled the plug on the band in order to bring the evening to a close.

FLAC: https://we.tl/t-BJa5ZIVNOn

Artwork: https://we.tl/t-8eHBIL3eWG

01. I'm An Upstart
02. I Ain't Never 'Ad Nothing
03. Guns For The Afghan Rebels
04. Mr Politician
05. I Stand Accused
06. I Understand
07. Two Million Voices
08. We Gotta Get Out Of This Place
09. Shotgun Solution
10. Police Opression
11. You're Nicked
12. I Won't Pay For Liberty
13. Leave Me Alone
14. Teenage Warning
15. Kids On The Street
16. White Riot
17. The Murder Of Liddle Towers

No comments:

Post a Comment