Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Tuesday 3 November 2020

Attila The Stockbroker Introduces...... TV Smith

 


With just over 24 hours before we enter another month of lockdown, we once again despair of the fact that we are robbed of many of the things we love, time with family, the company of friends and live music and theatre.

I have been one of the lucky ones, I can do my work from home and have worked throughout since March (having said that I have two children at university and one of those is at Manchester Metropolitan University...... in the last few weeks better known than Oxford or Cambridge Universities combined but for all the wrong reasons!). It has not been plain sailing by any measure.... did I mention parents with dementia? But less of that let's talk about musicians, the people who have provided the soundtracks to our lives. And just to be clear I am here talking about the kind of bands that get posted on this site, bands or performers that have no record label support and can no longer tour as a result of COVID-19.

Tonight Attila hosted the first of a series of 'Attila The Stockbroker Introduces....' gigs featuring his old mate TV Smith of Adverts/Explorers/Cheap fame as well as many years as a solo performer.

Here's the idea in Atilla's words:

'I've organised enough gigs in real pubs for myself and other people. Now I'm starting an online venue for the duration of the pandemic to showcase and help my fellow performers deprived of their income in these difficult times. Simple idea: you join this group, I invite musicians/poets I think you'll enjoy to live stream here once a week, you cheer 'em on, and hopefully you help them by bunging a few quid their way and getting some merch.
This is in place of the live stream on my main page which is getting a very strange response from the authorities on Facebook. I have 34000 people on there with whom I share ideas and discuss things in a civil and intelligent fashion and I don't want it shut down.'



1 comment: