Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Monday 5 September 2022

Tom Robinson Band R Fest Blackpool 7th August 2022

 


That last RAR related post leads quite nicely into this one.

Sadly, I missed Tom Robinson at Rebellion. I last saw him in 2019 in Skegness where it was announced that a special 70th birthday party was in the offing for the great man. It's still planned I  believe but in the meantime Tom has turned 72.... bloody COVID eh?

I am no Tom Robinson/TRB aficionado, I have the 'War Baby' single and that's about it apart from a couple of tracks on punk compilations and yet when I look at and more to the point listen to this set there is so much familiar material in there.

Musically, TRB sat somewhere between the earlier pub rock and punk. However, attitude-wise few bands out punked TRB! Activists through and through, TRB were on the front line from the beginning on issues from racism and the rise in fascism to gay rights. As part of RAR, the Tom Robinson Band did much to establish the model that fused music with protest as a potent weapon against the far right in Britain.

So here's TRB in 2022, still angry and with something to say...

FLAC: https://we.tl/t-bzH3ZPNkDT

Sleeve: https://we.tl/t-UDU2CFr4Pf

01. Intro
02. Bully For You
03. Listen To The Radio (Atmospherics)
04. Grey Cortina
05. Martin
06. The Mighty Sword Of Justice
07. Too Good To Be True
08. War Baby
09. Thin Green Line (With TV Smith)
10. Glad To Be Gay
11. 2-4-6-8 Motorway
12. Up Against The Wall
13. Power In The Darkness

Many thanks to Peter for sharing his recording!



No comments:

Post a Comment