Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Saturday 27 October 2012

20 From '80 (19) Squeeze Music Hall Toronto 11th April 1980

Squeeze in 1980


Here's another band that were highly active in 1980 that offered up songs of such quality that, 30 plus years on they still sound remarkable. Again, a contemporary off-shoot of punk rather than a punk band per se Squeeze's strength I think lay in the near perfect songwriting abilities if Glen Tilbrook and Chris Difford. As the age old advice goes, 'write about what you know' and you get the feeling that some of the material at least could be autobiographical of the band's life down in South London.

I only saw Squeeze once in 1989 (on the 'Frank' tour) and surprisingly I came away disappointed. It wasn't that the band played badly, rather they committed the cardinal sin, in my eyes at least, of playing a medley of hits. This happened quite a lot in the '80's (I also recall Motorhead doing it as well), but such practises should be consigned to the dustbin of time...... Stars on 45 and Jive Bunny... no more needs to be said.

I have tickets to see a reformed Squeeze in Cambridge next month so I will report back.

FLAC: On its way!

MP3: https://rapidshare.com/files/159217403/squeezetoronto110480MP3.zip

01. Slap and Tickle
02. Touching Me, Touching You
03. Slightly Drunk
04. Pulling Mussels From a Shell
05. Hop, Skip and Jump
06. Another Nail in My Heart
07. Cool For Cats
08. The Mess Around
09 I Think I'm Go-Go
10. Misadventure
11. It's So Dirty
12. Goodbye Girl
13. Encore Break
14. Up the Junction
15. There at the Top

In town on this night:

Whirlwind/The Newtown Neurotics   Dingwalls, London
OMD/Distractions/Flowers   Electric Ballroom, London
Joy Division   Russell Club, Manchester
Secret Affair   Free Trade Hall, Manchester

No comments:

Post a Comment