Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Saturday 23 July 2011

Portsmouth Guildhall 13th March 1990

1990 saw the band touring on the back of '10'. Whilst the album is very patchy, and in my opinion, the weakest produced by the Mk I line up, the set that the band toured this year was excellent. Classics such as 'I Feel Like A Wog', 'Shah Shah A Go Go' and 'Straighten Out' were back in along with a theatrical version of 'School Mam'.

On this tour, which included a couple of brilliant nights at one of the greatest of London venues, the Brixton Academy, there was no indication of the bombshell that Hugh Cornwell was to drop in August after the bands appearance at Alexandra Palace.



FLAC: https://we.tl/t-IE2IOUuIre

The tour produced some great quality recordings of which this is one of the best. Thanks to Dom P for the remastering!

01. Intro
02. Shah Shah a Go Go
03. I Feel Like a Wog
04. Straighten Out
05. Shakin'  like a Leaf
06. 96 Tears
07. Someone Like You
08. Sweet Smell Of Success
09. Always the Sun
10. Ships That Pass In The Night
11. Peaches
12. Where I Live
13. School Mam
14. Let's Celebrate
15. Uptown
16. Tank
17. Was It You?
18. Down in the Sewer
19. Nuclear Device
20. Duchess
21. No More Heroes
22. (Get A) Grip (On Yourself)
23. All Day And All Of the Night
24. Punch and Judy

5 comments:

  1. Any chance of a re-up of back artwork,seems to be cut off.
    Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please try again it looks ok to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog thanks, it's being read! I was at the Brixton Academy gig and your set list brought it all back. Sha Sha followed by I Feel Like A Wog and by track 3, Straighten Out the whole place was going mental. The Mark I line up with Hugh is the only Stranglers for me. Saw the Mark II line up once and left early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. since the demise of megaupload, is there any way this show will be uploaded anywhere else. ive been searching for this gig for ages.
    if anyone know where i can find it, my email
    is ;

    renwadrabylac@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. New link for Portsmouth 1990 has been added. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete