Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Sunday 30 December 2012

20 From '79 (8) Adam And The Ants High Wycombe Town Hall 12th February 1979


Months before Mr McClaren suggested tribal sounds were the key to the future of rock 'n' roll, Adam with his original Ants were playing a unique music in the town halls and colleges of the UK. A mixture of bondage/fetish themes mixed with a dark humour that came through in songs such as 'It Doesn't Matter' (Your perspirations brought the wallpaper down, I just can't stand it when you walk into town), the Ants of 1979 were about as far away from the swashbuckling Ants with added teen-appeal as you could possibly get. This was no kid's TV friendly outfit!

I got into Adam & The Ants when the 'Kings' stuff was current and there was still something a little edgy about the band. I remember my parents disapproving of me wearing a t-shirt declaring 'Ant Music For Sex People'.... I suppose they had a point..... I was 11 in 1980!

From this set which includes songs such as 'Boil In The Bag Man', 'Nietsche Baby' and 'Hamstead' it is my belief that the best material that the Ants ever wrote never saw the light of day in their lifetime (check out the 'Madame Stan' or 'Decca' demos and see if you concur).



FLAC: https://we.tl/McVCckS504

Artwork: https://we.tl/L6MjYRd2uu

01. Intro
02. Nietsche Baby
03. Day I Met God
04. Animals And Men
05. Cleopatra
06. Kick!
07. Never Trust A Man
08. Catholic Day
09. Boil In The Bag Man
10. Family Of Noise
11. Press Darlings
12. Zerox
13. Lady/Puerto Rican
14. Red Scab
15. Fall In
16. B-Side Baby
17. Hampstead

1 comment:

  1. Could you please repost any of your Ant shows? They're really rare to come by, and RapidShare's been down for years.

    ReplyDelete