Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Friday 18 October 2024

Ist Ist Mash Cambridge 16th October 2024

 


Having spent the best part of last week in Central France for three dates with The Stranglers, I would now consider myself to be back in gig circulation post my summer 'health event'. The series of long days and late nights left its mark, but that wasn't going to stop me from getting to this gig.

I don't oftem embrace new bands, just a few minutes browsing his site will confirm that beyond all reasonable doubt! Ist Ist, are a Manchester band, and whilst not strictly new (having formed in 2014) they are starting to get some attention. So the change to see them in a 480 capacity venue (although the area from which the stage would be visible would be well below that figure) was not to be missed.


Ist Ist tick all of the post-punk boxes that I can think of and I am sure a few others as well that haven't occured to me! The easiest comparison to make is with Joy Division, but whilst the singer has a vocal delivery not disimilar to the late Mr Curtis, it is a bit of a lazy comparison (he also at times sounds a little like Lloyd Cole!). There were in fact a couple of older males in attendance in 'Unknown Pleasures' T-shirts. To continue with the comparisons, for my money there is Bauhaus in there, as well as elements of Magazine, the moody keys will do that I guess. But let's forget who they may or may not sound like, they are great and came across really well. I hope that bigger things are coming their way soon.


Although I only caught the tail end of their set the tour support, Cucamaras, were half decent too. 

So I am left to ask myself the question, having 'discovered' Ist Ist but also hammering the new March Violets and Anja Huwe (ex-Xmal Deutschand) am I destined to become a bald 56 year old goth? I'm not sure that Gunta could cope with that!


No comments:

Post a Comment