Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Friday 27 September 2024

Hammersmith Odeon 15th February 1981

 


I surprised myself to find that I had not posted this Hugh era London date on the site at all. A classic 'Meninblack' visitation to London NW10 (Hammersmith that is for those unfamiliar with london Post Codes!). 

Just look at that set, the contrary bastards! As Chas de Whalley mentions in the reciew below it's rather light on the hits with just two tracks lifted from 'Rattus' and nothing at all from 'No More Heroes', their most commercially successful albums. Oh, and put 'Meninblack' in there for good measure.... that'll mess with their heads. Personally, I would have no issues with this set, but then again I do not crave the hits, in fact I would happily replace most of them for obscurities that would see the casual gig goer racing for the exit!! Gimme 'Wasted'!

The gig was reviewed in the February 21st issue of Record Mirror by the aforementioned Chas de Whalley. He who gifted us the tag line 'Like a Force Nine Gale of Bad Breath' purloined for the site's header. He was the first national music journalist to give the band column inches and it's great to see that he was still impressed with the band four or more years later at a time when his fellow hacks had  almost universally got the knives out for the band.

FLAC: https://we.tl/t-n289PSbmls

Artwork: https://we.tl/t-xFQd0sKiRh


Record Mirror (21st February 1981)



1 comment: