Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Saturday 30 March 2024

Terry Hall Tribute Night (29th March 2024 BBC 4)

 


Last night BBC 4 ran a brilliant thread of music programming in an evening that celebrated the immense talent of Terry Hall, from The Specials, The Fun Boy 3, The Colourfield and back again. The evening started with a new compilation of 'Terry Hall at The BBC' covering his 40 plus years in music. All of the footage was familiar to me except for one show (the name of it escapes me now) where The Band were introduced by Toyah Willcox. Most of this material I have seen in the past, but it was brilliant to see it all brought together and to see it in such excellent quality.

Aside from the BBC music compilation, the highlight for me was the showing of the 'Arena' documentary which saw fanzine writer turned music journalist, Adrian Thrills, travel to Coventry see see what all the fuss, that had turned the UK monochrome, was all about. The scenes filmed in the 'office' of 2 Tone HQ in Albany Road are priceless. I pitied the neighbours! How great it was to find all of the band partying,  larking around and getting on with each other! Gunta loved it too as it showed Coventry city centre as she remembered in back in 1980.

Well done BBC 4 as they would say on 'Points Of View'.

1 comment: