Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Sunday 1 January 2023

Ruts DC Almost Acoustic Spanish Hall Blackpool 5th August 2022

 

It was Day Two of the Rebellion punk marathon, an event requiring stamina, an ability to get by on 4 hours sleep a night, and a liver of a young Lemmy. I have mentioned earlier that for me the 2022 Rebellion was in part frustrating. Certainly all the bands that you would want to see are in town, but the logistics of seeing them would be beyond the military. The afternoon had been cracking with the Newtown Neurotics, followed by From The Jam, The Skids and The Undertones on the R-Fest stage on the promenade. So, what to do about The Stranglers when Ruts DC are to play acoustically at the same time. Sadly, the Meninblack lose out to an extent. I do five songs, six by the time a get beyond the venues exit. 

Up the stairs and through the warren of the Winter Garden complex to a very full Spanish Hall, there are hundreds of people sat down here to hear Ruts DC. It's fantastic!

Here I must admit that by this point in the day's proceedings I am getting a little jaded, it could be the dreadful 'Carling Black Label' lager that they sell here but I doubt it.... it must be exposure to sea air and the sun over a long afternoon!

I am annoying people by standing in front of them. It's a little irritating to move out of the way by people sitting cross-legged on a tightly packed floor. It's acoustic, I get that, but it's Ruts DC.... not Tyrannosaurus Rex! Meaning no disrespect to Marc Bolan of course!

At some point, 'Babylon's Burning' I think, Segs gave me a name check. Later he mentioned it and said 'I dunno why!'. maybe he too was suffering from the affects of the Blackpool sun and sea air.

This set turned up a couple of new songs, 'X-Ray Joy' and 'Born Innocent', both from the marvelous 'Counterculture?' album.

A great little set to end the day. I love the fact that the Ruts DC back catalogue, not to mention the current material lends itself to an acoustic setting and that it goes down so well, but for fucks sake.... please stand up!! (Audience, not band).

Enjoy! And with thanks as always to Chatts!

FLAC: https://we.tl/t-LJrE06pIzu

Artwork: https://we.tl/t-NilLsAnUWq

01. Tuning-Something That I Said
02. Music Must Destroy
03. Dangerous Minds
04. X-Ray Joy
05. Love In Vain
06. Staring At The Rude Boys
07. Hometown Blues
08. Born Innocent
09. In A Rut
10. Babylon's Burning

No comments:

Post a Comment