Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Wednesday 9 March 2022

Sex Pistols Le Zenith Paris 4th July 1996

 

I have never really posted much Pistols stuff on here. Maybe that was because PiL always floated my boat more at the time as they were more contemporary to me! I only saw the band once at Finsbury Park (on the '96 Filthy Lucre our) and I have to say that it was brilliant. Today, Lydon seems to be courting controversy for controversy’s sake which for me has lessened the man somewhat. The recent legal case fought between Lydon  and Cook and Jones seems to be another rather sad fall out typical of the feuding rock stars of yor that the Sex Pistols made it their raison d'être to annihilate!

Sometimes, what with the force of nature that John Lydon/Rotten is it is difficult to remember that the Sex Pistols were a band, the power of the whole being greater than the individual parts (whilst recognizing that Rotten as a very visible front man was always gonna be the centre of the media and public’s attention). Each band member contributed to a whole and that band at the time shook up not just the music industry but the whole of society in ways that the Beatles and the Stones could only dream of. Like it not, regardless of who was playing first we owe the Sex Pistols a tremendous debt in fermenting a scene that became the soundtrack to our lives.  

01. Bodies
02. Seventeen
03. New York
04. No Feelings
05. Did You No Wrong
06. God Save The Queen
07. Liar
08. Satellite
09. (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone
10. Holidays In The Sun
11. Pretty Vacant
12. E.M.I.
13. Anarchy In The U.K.
14. Problems
15. Road Runner
16. No Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment