Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Sunday 15 December 2019

Nerd Alert - Gigs of 2019

Gunta and Adrian (and two old comedians off the telly!)
Rebelion Festival August 2019

This is not an exercise I have done before but having been at a couple of festivals this year, for once curiosity got the better of me when it came to how many bands I have seen in 2019. As I thought it at 71 bands (not gigs) this has been my busiest music year since my first proper gig in 1981.

Highlights include Billy Bragg (early material only set), The Stranglers at the Guildford unveiling, Ruts DC and The Stranglers in the extraordinary setting of Caephilly Castle, The Adicts and The Rich Kids.

Lowlight would have to be The Stranglers in Brighton, when I was informed half way through the gig of the passing of Ranking Roger..... nothing against The Stranglers but I was staggered for the rest of the gig.

Here then is the list:

Angelic Upstarts
Anti-Nowhere League
999 (x2)
Barnstormer (x2)
Barrie Masters
Billy Bragg
Billy Club
Chelsea
Cockney Rejects (x3)
Conflict
Dead Kennedys
DOA
Eastfield
Ed Tudor Pole
Hugh Cornwell
Gary Numan Career Q & A
Glen Matlock
Gold Toothed Reptiles (local band)
Knock Off (x2)
Newtown Neurotics
Nick Cash
Penetration
Pete Bentham and The Dinner Ladies
Peter & The Test Tube Babies
Rich Kids
Ruts DC (x4)
The Professionals
The Ramonas
Sham 69 (x2)
Steve Ignorant’s Slice of Life
Straighten Out
Suzi Quattro
The Adicts (x2)
The Bolokoi
The Damned
The Godfathers
The Skids (x2)
The Smash (local band)
The Stranglers (x12)
The Subhumans (x 2)
The Undertones (x2)
Tokyo Taboo
Tom Robinson Band
TV Smith (x2)
UK Subs
Vice Squad

No comments:

Post a Comment