Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Tuesday 26 November 2019

London Calling 40th Anniversary - The Exhibition



The Andrews' family had planned a day out in London last Saturday and by happy coincidence the long awaited London Calling 40th Anniversary opened the day before.

The originally intended purpose of the visit was to buy Docs (Daughter Mo now has a part-time job in one of there shops... which works very well for a DM fixated family! There was also the International Sewing....... exhibition in the Farringdon area..... which I have to say was very good and one of Gunta's passions.



It was funny watching people arriving at the  The Museum of London. There seemed to be a high proportion of 50-something, grey haired men, of a somewhat geezer-ish nature with teenage children in tow converging on the site! Hey, I was one and it was good to see.

Ma and Pa

Toyah daughter

A few year's ago, a Clash pop-up shop appeared in Berwick street in Soho. I planned to go and was in the area at 10 am. However, the shop didn't open until noon, which under normal circumstances would not have been a problem but I was returning from a gig after no sleep so I gave up. A feature of that exhibition was Paul Simenon's broken bass (of course it was!).

This time I did get to see the goods!


That bass!

Other interesting pieces in the collection were the contemporary hand written lyrics of many of the songs that appeared on the album.

'Death Or Glory' lyrics in Joe's hand

Paul's 'Guns of Brixton'

Cartoonist Ray Lowery's draft of the iconic front cover

Finally, one of Joe Strummer's guitars

Get yourselves down to the Museum of London at London wall.... it's welll worth an hour of anyone's time.


No comments:

Post a Comment