Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Saturday 22 October 2016

Hugh Cornwell & Dr John Cooper Clarke BBC 6 Music 10th October 2016


One of the most unlikely parings since Nick Cave and Kylie, Hugh Cornwell and Dr John Cooper Clarke have joined forces to release an album of songs that inspired them as kids/teens. The revelation here is that JCC has a really good singing voice, a world apart from that Mancunian drawl that we know and love.

The songs aren't really my up of tea. They are very much of my patents era, some of them pre-dating the birth of rock 'n' roll even. Some of these songs, particularly 'Donna' and 'Jezebel' take me back to my Sundays in the mid '70's that saw my mum ironing with accompaniment from the originals of these songs. These Sundays marked the end of the weekend with bathtime, Poldark, The Onedin Line and a host of other things that I did not much care for. To this day, the only redeeming feature of a Sunday is that it means that I am not at work!

Anyway, enough of that, today is Saturday and I am upbeat!

Here is the session by 'the thinking woman's Mick 'n' Keef' (as Mark Radcliffe billed them (or as someone else, who will remain nameless, described them, Peters and Lee)) did for BBC 6 Music earlier this month.


FLAC: https://we.tl/aBWxjYm5cS

01. Interview
02. Intro to Spanish Harlem
03. Spanish Harlem
04. Intro to Donna
05. Donna
06. Outro to Donna
07. Intro to Love Potion No.9
08. Love Potion No.9
09. Outro


No comments:

Post a Comment