Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Wednesday 6 July 2011

The Top Rank Sheffield UK 19th October 1977

Next up is a good sounding set from the Autumn Tour of ’77 (No More Heroes). The Drones supported on this night. The best of the crop for this year must be the recording at the Roundhouse of 6th November (tracks appear on Live X-certs) and the officially released (although now deleted) Live at the Hope & Anchor, the so called ‘Front Row Festival’ which featured many of the stalwarts of the London pub rock scene recorded at the famous Islington boozer over the period of Tuesday 22nd  November and Thursday 15th  December 1977.




  1. No More Heroes
  2. Ugly
  3. Bring On The Nubiles
  4. Sometimes
  5. Dagenham Dave
  6. Dead Ringer
  7. Hanging Around
  8. 5 Minutes
  9. Something Better Change
  10. I Feel Like A Wog
  11. Straighten Out
  12. Burning Up Time
  13. London Lady
  14. Peaches
  15. Grip

4 comments:

  1. great stuff! i look forward to listening to this, my older sister was at this gig, i remember her going out with all her punk mates to the rank!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete, can she put a few words down about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there. I think one of Billy Idol's early bands was on too. London? Noisy arrogant shite. The Drones weren't the main support, they came on first and were bloody awful, but they meant well. THe Stranglers were a huge relief. Great sound. Too much phlegm near the front.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been talking to my mates who were there with me. It wasn't Billy Idol. But they were definitely loud mouth Londoners who pissed off a Yorkshire crowd, who had a gobby blonde singer.

    ReplyDelete