Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Saturday 18 April 2020

20 From '77(8) X Ray Spex White Lion Putney 16th October 1977


Now this lot were something different. Poly epitomized what could be achieved through punk. Their long to arrive debut album, 'Germfree Adolescents'(November 1978), is deemed to be a classic achievement from one of the most original bands of the first wave of punk in the UK. And rightly so.  The material on the album follows a theme of plastic material.... a theme running through the band from Poly's chosen stage name to songs such as 'Art-I-Ficial' and 'Plastic Bag'. Poly railed against the throw away nature of our society in which consumerism is king. Her concerns were carried right through to a second album by a reformed version if the band, 1995's 'Conscious Consumer'. Sadly Poly died in April 2011, but one wonders what she would have made of the revelation of the last couple of years that plastics have reached the depths of deepest oceans and the slopes of our highest mountains!

'Germfree Adolescents' is out there alone. Nothing else sounds like it, a combination of Poly's shrill vocal style that just demands attention and use of a saxophone at a time when their contemporaries shunned brass.

Oh Bondage Up Yours! (Twndish 1978)

I only had the opportunity to see them once back in 1991, but what a gig it was!


FLAC: https://we.tl/t-F5GafzyCqD

Artwork: https://we.tl/t-bhxiuwFkAi

01. Oh Bondage! Up Yours!
02. Obsessed With You
03. Identity
04. Let's Submerge
05. Plastic Bag
06. I Live Off You
07. I Am A Cliche
08. I Can't Do Anything
09. The Day The World Turned Day-Glo
10. Oh Bondage! Up Yours!
11. I Am A Cliche

No comments:

Post a Comment