Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Sunday 16 September 2012

The Stadium Paris, 12th May 1978

 
 
NOW CONFIRMED TO BE A LOW QUALITY VERSION OF THE BATACLAN 6TH OCTOBER 1978 GIG

Here is one put up especially for MeAnIe who leaped into action at my request to replace my frazzled Reading Hexagon recording. Cheers!

There is some debate about the date (and even perhaps the venue) for this one. I received it as 12th May, but the Burning Up Time Forum lists this gig as taking place on 12th June 1978. The latter date would seem to be more logical as they played L'Anciennes on the 13th. Can any of our French friends confirm?

A listenable boot (although nowhere near the standard of the Bataclan gig), this is from the time that the band were at their most brutal on stage.

FLAC: On it's way!

MP3: https://rapidshare.com/files/1473279731/ParisStadium12thMay1978MP3.zip

1. Ugly
2. I Feel Like A Wog
3. Burning Up Time
4. Bring On The Nubiles
5. Hanging Around
6. London Lady
7. No More Heroes
8. Something Better Change
9. Curfew
10. Do You Wanna?
11. Death And Night And Blood
12. Nice "N" Sleazy
13. Threatened
14. Sweden
15. Tank
16. Five Minutes
17. Toiler On The Sea

Artwork (referencing 12th May date) is here:
Front
Back

4 comments:

  1. Excellent choice sir.... even if I do say it myself. Thanks again Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure this is Stadium 78 ? Looks like Paris Bataclan 06 10 1978. Same track-list. I might be wrong, but I was living in Paris in those days, and I dont remember the Stranglers playing at the Stadium. Keep on stranglering anyway. Cheers.

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    You are quite correct. I have checked the recording and can confirm that this recording is not from the Stadium, but it is an inferior copy of the Bataclan gig. I will amend this post and my list accordingly.
    Thanks for your help.
    Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    You are quite correct. I have checked the recording and can confirm that this recording is not from the Stadium, but it is an inferior copy of the Bataclan gig. I will amend this post and my list accordingly.
    Thanks for your help.
    Adrian.

    ReplyDelete