Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Monday 30 July 2012

The Specials Three Late Demos



Again, here's a short collection not new to the net, but possibly lost due to the issues with megaupload.

I have posted these (in mp3 format) for two reasons. Firstly, Why? is one of the best songs that The Specials did and secondly, like The Stranglers, '96 Tears' was one of the worst.

Concerning '96 Tears', as a cult garage anthem of the 1960's it works perfectly and I have no problem with the original ? and the Mysterians version, but the song suited neither The Specials or The Stranglers very well. For the latter, the song seemed to hinge on the beach postcard innuendo line of  'and when the sun comes up, I'll be on top...'. Not their finest moment in my opinion.

'Why?' on the other hand is a very different thing indeed. Based on a real racist attack on guitarist Lynval Golding in 1980 (an incident that was repeated and nearly ended his life a few years later in his home town of Coventry) it is a heartfelt request from a young black man to understand the rationale behind such racially motivated violence.

The released version appeared on the 'Ghost Town' e.p., the 12" version of which is the greatest single ever released, bringing together the title track, 'Why?' and 'Friday Night, Saturday Morning'. Of these demo versions, it is 'Why (Part 2) that is most interesting being quite a variant on the released version.

MP3: https://rapidshare.com/files/3503706044/TheSpecialsThreeLateDemos.zip

1. Why? (Part 2)
2. Why? (Dub Version)
3. 96 Tears


2 comments:

  1. I actually liked the stranglers version.I have a 12" of it.but for me its one of those songs like Louie Louie that I need to have any version I can get my hands on.nice to see my artwork being put to good use.one of my early Photoshop efforts!!and do you.have the stranglers at Milton Keynes from 91-92ish broadcast on radio1 I think?cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, OK, its alright I suppose, but not a career high by any stretch of the imagination. I believe that I have the MK gig. If I have I will upload it for you. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete