Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Monday 19 November 2012

Christian Fishes

On the road, some people like to spot Eddie Stobart lorries, others see who can spot the most cars of a particular colour. I spend my time looking out for Christian Fishes.

The origin of the Christian fish goes back to the birth of the faith, when in the face of persecution from their polytheistic Roman overlords, Chritian groups identified themselves and their subterranian places of worship with the simple mark of the fish.


I am not anti-Christian, but I am an atheist. I do however have some problems with the idea of creationist theory, when even many prominent scientists can accommodate the principles of evolution within their own Christian beliefs.

Some years ago, my attention was drawn to the existance of the Darwin Fish. I though that this was brilliant and subtle with it.

This version decorates our fridge at home.


Yesterday, I saw another variant on this theme on a car outside Epping tube station.... I had to take a picture.



1 comment:

  1. We had Mental Health First Aid training earlier this year and the trainer had a fish symbol on his car with the word 'Heathen' inside the fish, always amused at any slight on the god botherers.

    ReplyDelete