Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Wednesday 3 June 2015

The Vapors - Marquee London Gig Review (Sounds 1st September 1979)


A gig review to make Owen Carne weep! Despite the article title, in actual fact on this night the Vapors were supporting the bigger band in the Autumn of '79, The Chords. The Vapors however clearly are deemed more worthy of the column inches on this occasion. The yet to be released 'Turning Japanese' is singled out (no pun intended) as a stand out track in the band's set.

'Turning Japanese' was actually the first single that I purchased from WH Smiths with my own money. Then I am sorry to say that since my next door neighbour bought it as well, I agreed to exchange mine for something else so we could double our music collections in less than 15 minutes by recording the other. I hate to say it but I exchanged a new wave classic for......... 'Kool In The Kaftan' something of a novelty hit (weren't they all!) by Scottish songwriter and Multi-Coloured Swap Shop collaborator B.A. Robertson! Oh the shame of it all..... I do stand however by the fact that technically 'Turning Japanese' was still my first purchase.

In the above review, I like the reference to 'the Foxton-faced Dave Fenton'.

Here's a somewhat later radio gig from March 1981 when they played a home turf gig at the Civic Hall in Guildford.



FLAC: http://we.tl/k52ELDkUL1

01. News At Ten
02. Johnny's In Love (Again)
03. Sixty Second Interval
04. Jimmie Jones
05. Turning Japanese
06. Daylight Titans
07. Magnets
08. Isolated Case
09. Letter From Hiro
10. Live At The Marquee
11. Civic Hall
12. Bunkers

No comments:

Post a Comment