Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Monday 19 November 2012

Cambridge Corn Exchange 17th November 2012 - Squeeze Redeem Themselves... and How!



A few weeks ago, as part of the 20 from 80 series of posts, I included a gig by Squeeze. At that time, I commented that I found the experience less than enjoyable, despite loving their music. I also mentioned that I had tickets to see them play in Cambridge this month. That gig took place on Saturday night and I am happy to say that it was one of the best gigs that I have been to.


Every aspect of their set was near perfect, from the keyboard player (surely the bastard son of Ron Mael and Sean Locke!) who played out of his skin to the drummer, who was a joy to watch perform. All band members gave it their all I think.

All the hits were present and correct (they were really, really tight on the night) and even the new material ('Tommy' and 'Top of the Form') were excellent and worthy of the Squeeze label.

What ever happened on that night back in 1989, did not happen on Saturday. This gig was a celebration of the work of one of the best band's that Britain have produced.

Go and see them if you can.

'Is That Love?'
Cambridge Corn Exchange
17th November 2012
 
'Tommy'
Cropredy Festival
9th August 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment