Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Sunday 19 April 2015

Jerry Dammers - Mojo Magazine May 2015


This month's 'Mojo' magazine sees a brilliant feature interview with Jerry Dammers. The interview marks the release of remastered and expanded versions of 'Specials', 'More Specials' and 'In The Studio'.

Since it is The Specials that have given rise to this interview, Jerry very quickly gets drawn into discussion about his former band mates and the 'reunion' (here stated in inverted commas as Dammers contests the very notion The Specials' reunion).

To understand the issues that have seen The Specials lose two more original members is beyond me, but clearly many of the problems and personality clashes that caused the original bust up in 1981 remain to this day. It certainly does not seem to be the case that without the dominating personality of 'The General' all would go on to be harmonious in the post 2008 Specials camp. They fell out all by themselves!

Having been treated to some of the greatest gigs I have ever seen from The Specials minus 1, it would be wrong for me to say that they should not have embarked on this new adventure without Jerry Dammers, but now they need a rethink. First Neville threw in the towel citing a lack of understanding from his fellow musicians following a stroke suffered whilst on tour in the US and then Roddy buggered off. Inevitably the sound of the band has changed without these key contributors to that Specials sound.

It seems astounding to think that I can watch a line up featuring Horace, Brad, Lyn and Terry and come away feeling a bit deflated, but that is only as a result of seeing them back in 2009.

I thought that the band's last London gig at The Troxy would likely be their last, but I notice that they will be playing Kew this year.

I'm wondering now.

No comments:

Post a Comment