Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Saturday 25 February 2012

The Old Trout Windsor 25th February 1991

Last Wednesday saw the 21st anniversary of the first proper outing for The Stranglers post-Hugh, and the live debut of his replacement, Paul Roberts. It was three days later, 21 years ago this evening that fans in the UK had the first opportunity to see the new line up.

Flyer for the gig clearly knocked up without a record company's design department budget - just take a look at the logo!)


Tickets I recall were quite hard to come by, but luckily, being in Uxbridge at the time, I was able to skip a couple of lectures and make my way down to the relatively nearby Windsor to pick up a couple of tickets.

It was with a great deal of trepidation that I and, I am sure everyone else there on the night, waited for the band to come on. In the event, they won the day, at that time the two new members were not quite as flamboyant in their roles as they were to be in later years. A sympathetic treatment of the back catalogue with  the opportunity to see the band in such close quarters, once again without the brass cavalry, was what I suspect I enjoyed most about that night.

The Old Guard


The Rookies

The Old, Trout Windsor 25th February 1991

Looking through some old cuttings recently, I came across a review writteN by a mate of mine, for another mate's fanzine. Quite a positive review I think.



It's not perfect quality, but is worth hearing from the point of view of listening to a band embarking on a completely new phase of what had already been a long career.

I would suggest that you listen to this whilst reading the article on the official site, here.

There's a handful of new material in there as well.

FLAC: https://we.tl/t-z3bR2x8z5f

Artwork: https://we.tl/t-luAbL9wQ6v

1. No More Heroes
2. Threatened
3. Something Better Change
4. Sometimes
5. Never to Look Back
6. Someone Like You
7. RB11
8. Heaven or Hell
9. Always the Sun
10. 96 Tears
11. I Feel Like a Wog
12. Uptown

13. Wet Afternoon
14. Mr Big
15. Hanging Around
16. Toiler on the Sea
17. Down in the Sewer
18. London Lady
19. All Day and All of the Night
20. Tank
21. Duchess


No comments:

Post a Comment