Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Sunday 18 June 2023

Ruts DC Hammersmith Odeon 21st October 1980 - Full Set?

 


Sorry for the cock up! The extra tracks are actually the band's Peel Session.... I am disappointed too.... must pay more attention.

Upon sorting through a few hundred half labelled and unlabelled discs, I was very pleased to find this gem in a lossless format. It's an early outing of Ruts DC supporting The Skids at the Hammermith Odeon in the autumn of 1980. I had previously uploaded a version in mp3 format (5 songs) that can be found here. This version adds ' Mirror Smashed', 'Parasites', 'Fools' and another rendition of 'Different View'. And, like the lossy version, this is also of good sound quality.

I was making the assumption that this version represented the full set played on the night, my thinking being that the set may have ended with a rerun through 'Different View' which was/would be the new single. However, upon reading Garry Bushell's review again, mention is made of 'SUS', 'Staring At The Rude Boys', 'It Was Cold' and 'Savage Circle' having been played. Regardless, this would appear to be the fullest version in circulation and it is a great addition to the Ruts DC collection.

FLAC: https://we.tl/t-O4t8UwxjEN

Artwork: https://we.tl/t-okICasKE4

01. Love In Vain
02. Different View
03. West One (Shine On Me)
04. Society
05. Babylon's Burning
06. Mirror Smashed
07. Parasites
08. Fools
09. Different View

5 comments:

  1. Man you got me excited! however the last four tracks are the 1981 Peel session. Please tell me this was a mistake and you do have extra live tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bollocks! You are correct... must pay more attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the Peel session was a very strange one ..Produced by Dale "Buffin" Griffin -he of Mott The Hoople fame-The usual,always amazing sounding,Maida Vale studios were being upgraded from 8 to 24 track facilities whic meant hat we were stuck in a 4 track near Langham Place - it was hard work-I was pretty stressed and said something like "FFS I could do better at home on my Teac" when I came back into the control room ..Mr Griffin had walked out and "gone home" I always hated this session and think the bad vibes show in the perfomance ...oh well ..that was a long time ago ....Segs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that session! Horses for courses I guess….

      Delete
  4. sorry cant edit as not signed in --lol

    ReplyDelete