Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Thursday 22 December 2011

Steel Workers Benefit Gig - Corby 23rd Jult 1980

The Stranglers
Steel Workers Benefit Corby 23rd July 1980

This week I had an email requesting the abovementioned gig from a guy called Droo.

'I was talking with friends earlier tonight about our 'first ever gigs' and was happy to have trumped the lot of them with my 35p entry to The Stranglers' Steel Workers Benefit Gig in Corby, back in 1980. Full of nostalgia, I've just been searching for any mention of the gig, and am delighted to have found your site. Please, please tell me that you have a copy or can point me in the right direction to where I might find it; it would be fantastic to have the chance to hear it again after all these years.'

Here's a link to a recording of the night, not from my collection. This version has been much cleaned up and again I want to thank Dom P for his work on this one.

http://www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16903

Here's the full artwork:
Front
Back

5 comments:

  1. Awesome...I was there...12 years old in my DM's and first pair of bondage trousers with leopard skin bum-flap...pissed-up on Woodpecker cider...covered in sick...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there also, I remember Hugh getting upset with the spitters at the front...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I was there - third (?) time I'd seen them. Opened with 'Hanging Around' and the whole place went mental...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the police outside taking people's laces out of their boots... Everyone sitting as the gig started then it just going mad, brilliant

    ReplyDelete