Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Thursday, 30 July 2026

Dead Pioneers Don't Panic Essen 19th July 2026

 

(photo: David Devant)

Somebody left a comment on one of the posts on the site, 'Please keep on posting new bands'. Now by my own admission, this is something that I have not really done over the years. My thoughts on the matter for a long time have been along the lines that discovering bands is something that you do in your teens. This is of course an absolute nonsense, music should be ageless and be there to be discovered throughout life. I do however stand by the fact that seeking out new music takes time and effort, which can be a barrier to new discovery. However, I have taken that posted comment to heart at least to some extent. Luckily for me I have a friend in Germany who can facilitate this. Peter is an avid gig goer and is in the habit of sending anything that he considers may be a good fit for these pages over to me. This is how I came by Dead Pioneers.

This band that hails from Denver, Colorado are very current, but they take me right back to the 80's when I had a small collection of cassette recordings of 'Rodney On The ROQ' compilations. These featured the likes of Black Flag, Channel 3, Social Distortion, Dead Kennedys and the Circle Jerks. The brand of hardcore punk that those bands played sounded great to me and still does. So, when I listened to the first few tracks of Dead Pioneers, recorded this month on tour in Essen, I immediately heard that particular US style hardcore again. Specifically, I heard Circle Jerks and perhaps early Dead Kennedys. Lead singer, Gregg Deal, sounds a lot like Keith Morris... especially when they play the Circle Jerks anthem 'World Up My Ass'!


Gregg Deal is an interesting character. A registered member of the Pyramid Lake Paiute tribe, he is an artist, musician and activist who promotes first nation rights and culture. When he is not doing that he fronts Dead Pioneers who were recently in Europe promoting their new album, 'Wagon Burner', released just last month. The band take an uncompromising stance when it comes to White Power groups in the States. Now, having spent time last weekend in Nuremburg's Court Room 600 and at the Nazi Rally ground complex, anyone with an issue with Nazis is okay in my book!

In addition to the music I had a listen to a TED talk delivered by Gregg Deal which gives some idea of where he's at. Here. Interesting stuff at this time when the Trump administration has just reignited its dispute with the Smithsonian National Museum of American History accusing them of misrepresenting American history.

So thank you Peter... keep on educating me!







No comments:

Post a Comment