Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Sunday 12 February 2023

City Hall Newcastle 12th February 1983

 


Here's a pretty good sounding recording from Newcastle on this night an amazing, not to mention sobering 40 years ago.

'Feline' was such a change in direction, even for a band that had foisted 'The Gospel According To The Meninblack' upon their unsuspecting fanbase, that many were left baffled and disappointed with the 'new direction'. However, as I have stated on these pages on several occasions in the past, in my opinion, 'Feline' is an immense body of work. Soft and melodic it may be, but it nevertheless contains within its grooves a degree of menace that was lost in the albums that followed.

Missed them in Brighton on this tour (unlike my mates who went). I could have gone as although just shy of 14 at the time of the tour, I had been to a few gigs at Brighton Centre and Dome by this time. I am still kicking myself for such an error of judgement some 40 years down the line!

FLAC: https://we.tl/t-QlGqq4Eway

Artwork: https://we.tl/t-QJC7mqurr4

01. Intro
02. Nuclear Device
03. Toiler On The Sea
04. Ships That Pass In The Night
05. It's A Small World
06. Just Like Nothing On Earth
07. No More Heroes
08. Who Wants The World?
09. Never Say Goodbye
10. Baroque Bordello
11. Golden Brown

01. Princess Of The Streets
02. Midnight Summer Dream
03. European Female
04. Tramp
05. Duchess
06. London Lady
07. Nubiles (Cocktail Version)/Bring On The Nubiles
08. I Feel Like A Wog
09. Down In The Sewer

No comments:

Post a Comment