Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Sunday 10 July 2022

Merkur Spiel Arena Dusseldorf 24th June 2022

 


Here's one recently picked up from Dime. Many thanks to the original taper. The band take on the support slot for Germany's biggest punk band, Die Toten Hosen, in Dusseldorf. Asked whether playing to such a vast audience was intimidating Baz retorted, 'Not at all, it’s a challenge. It's great seeing those faces...trying to be indifferent and waiting for the main band to come on...feigning boredom…and gradually they start to smile and by the end you have them... They couldn't have given a fuck when we started and we got an ovation at the end... Satisfying'.

Satisfying I am sure it was. What a way to wind down a near 50 year career. I cannot say what goes through the bass players mind but I am sure there must be times that he wonders how it came full circle after the doldrums of the 1990's. 

FLAC: https://we.tl/t-OZtLsn2zAp

Artwork: https://we.tl/t-cqEVtVNkxv

01. Intro
02. Tank
03. Norfolk Coast
04. Nice 'N' Sleazy
05. Always The Sun
06. Golden Brown
07. This Song
08. Peaches
09. White Stallion
10. Relentless
11. Hanging Around
12. No More Heroes

4 comments:

  1. You got this from Dime...why don't you name the uploader ? you never ever do ..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ‘Anonymous’ for your comment. There are several reasons why uploaders don’t get named, the main one being that often (although not in this case) by the time that I upload something to this site, the recording has gone from Dime and I have no recollection of who the original uploader was. I think that what is more important is that I comply with the uploaders wishes when it comes to mp3 conversion or requests not to upload if that is stipulated.

    If you are a taper and or uploader (I cannot tell as you sent this anonymously) you will know that this is something of a thankless task. For example, the recording of the Krakatoa gig from the recent French tour which I received direct from the taper has been downloaded 153 times and has attracted zero comments. If I were personally hung up on the issue of recognition/acknowledgement this site would have folded years ago.

    Gratitude in terms of recognizing the efforts of other music fans be they tapers, uploaders, contributors etc, named or unnamed, is implicit across the site. Please accept my apologies if you do not agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Die Toten Hosen are a terrific band I've not yet had the chance to see live (Stadium sell out gigs in Germany) and would love to. Imagine this with The Stranglers in their hometown! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi is there another upload coming soon?

    ReplyDelete