Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Wednesday 20 May 2015

Colin Dredd - Newtown Neurotic R.I.P.


It is with sadness that I received the news that Colin Dredd, original bass player of the Newtown Neurotics died this week. I have stated on this site previously that The Neurotics, as they became known, formed the musical backdrop to my political education at a time of miners strike benefits, the Brighton bombing of the Grand and gigs played in the face of fascist skins.

I only saw Colin play with the band once. The first time I tried to see them at the Zap Club in Brighton in 1985, the Neurotics pulled out on account of Steve Drewett having his wisdom teeth pulled out (Attila filled the bill on that occasion). The next opportunity was at The Basement, again in Brighton in January 1986. After that I saw a handful of farewell gigs, by which point Colin had ceased playing live with the band through ill-health (replaced by Mac for these gigs).

When the band again played a handful of gigs in 2005, I chatted to Colin at the venue in Liverpool Street. I may have been a little drunk on this occasion, but nevertheless Colin was charming and genuinely thrilled that I, along with everyone else in that room, had made the effort and were there to see his band.

And that is all I can say really, our acquaintance was fleeting in the extreme, but what he left on record is and has been there for many years and is going nowhere fast.

Thanks Colin!!

Here's the Newtown Neurotics on John Peel in March 1983.

FLAC: http://we.tl/wkATgFGIyy

01. Jimmy Jangle
02. Does Anyone Know Where The March Is?
03. Life In Their Hands
04. Wake Up
05. Agony


1 comment:

  1. Ade. Colin was a stand up kind of guy. I was glad to know him and had the the privilege of carrying his amp a few times.

    Thanks for your comforting words. The world is just a sadder place today.

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete