The Undertones on the Creggan Estate, Derry in 1977
Linked in with the recent post about the early Ulster punk scene, here's a very early short audience recorded set of the band at the Casbah, a frequent haunt of the band in their home town and a venue immortalised on their debut album. This eight song recording is composed of only one original (and I'm not convinced that it's from the same set), the other seven being covers. Perhaps they didn't sing about the Troubles, but they matched SLF's 'Suspect Device' with and 'Incediary Device', albeit one of Johnny Moped's!
02. There She Goes Again (Velvet Underground)
03. All By Myself (Eric Carmen)
04. Incendiary Device (Johnny Moped)
05. Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue (Ramones)
06. You're Gonna Miss Me (13th Floor Elevators)
07. I Feel Alright (Iggy & TheStooges)
08. Jimmy Jimmy
It's a famous image and may have had a ring of truth about it in 1977, but listen to these teenagers learning the business in the Casbah in '77 and then compare them to the band they were a mere 18 to 24 months later!
'Here Comes The Summer' (again) by The Undertones
Top Of The Pops 1979