Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Sunday 23 March 2014

20 From '83 (20) Dead Kennedys 688 Club Atlanta GA 28th May 1983


Along with the Ramones, for Dead Kennedys are for me at least, the most important of America's contributions to the punk genre. To watch a Biafra era DKs gig is like watching a riot developing before your very eyes. Jello Biafra always cranked the intensity up to fever pitch in a spectacle that was part gig, part performance art piece. With songs that directly challenged the attitudes of their audience, shows could be confrontational.

This recording is from the time of the release of their second full album 'Plastic Surgery Disasters'. I first heard this back in '83 at a mate's house, listening as we played to the other new thing of that year, Trivial Pursuit (very punk rock I know!) and from then on I was a convert.

Too young to have seen them in Brighton in 1983, by the time they were next likely to play, the furore around the H.R. Geiger poster that accompanied the 'Frankenchrist' album and the ensuing court case meant that in '86 the band imploded. Since then the band have faced each other again in the courts, so the chances of seeing an original line up (or a 'classic' line up if not the first) is extremely remote.

FLAC: http://we.tl/0yxoNn21o8

No comments:

Post a Comment