Aural Sculptors - The Stranglers Live 1976 to the Present


Welcome to Aural Sculptors, a blog aimed at bringing the music of The Stranglers to as wide an audience as possible. Whilst all of the various members of the band that have passed through the ranks since 1974 are accomplished studio musicians, it is on stage where the band have for me had their biggest impact.

As a collector of their live recordings for many years I want to share some of the better quality material with other fans. By selecting the higher quality recordings I hope to present The Stranglers in the best possible light for the benefit of those less familiar with their material than the hardcore fan.

Needless to say, this site will steer well clear of any officially released material. As well as live gigs, I will post demos, radio interviews and anything else that I feel may be of interest.

In addition, occasionally I will post material by other bands, related or otherwise, that mean a lot to me.

Your comments and/or contributions are most welcome. Please email me at adrianandrews@myyahoo.com.


Tuesday 17 September 2024

Penetration The Whisky West Hollywood 15th June 1979

 


In my opinion, one of the more original bands to come through the punk scene in the UK were Penetration. Rather under estimated I think. Going back to the 'Anarchy in Manchester' DVDs that I posted the other day, Penetration feature on the first of the two discs performing 'Don't Dictate' at the Electric Ballroom in August 1977. Throughout the song, Pauline is getting a soaking from a bloke near the front who is throwing his bottled beer at her. After a while she tries to wrestle the bottle from him before a few people around him decide to give him a bit a a beating for being an arse. Never really got the sense of throwing beer at a stage full of live electrics. Coming to think of it, I never saw the point of throwing beer anywhere when there's an option to drink it. 

Thanks to the original Dime uploader.

FLAC: https://we.tl/t-bRCmLbldWi

Artwork: https://we.tl/t-p4fv0rHmZh


By 1979, like many of their contemporaries, Penetration had refined their sound somewhat and recorded some great material as evidenced in this two set bootleg from their 1979 US tour.

In recent years I thought that Penetration would have worked as a good support on a Stranglers tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment