I cannot recall now how I became aware of The Icicle Works, a Liverpool band fronted for many years by Ian McNabb. 'Love Is A Wonderful Colour' had been a hit in 1983 so I suppose it was that. Later in 1987 they released the album 'If You Want To Defeat Your Enemy Sing his Song', a cumbersome album title perhaps, but a great album. They were on the bill of the Reading Festival the same year and they were one of the bands that I made a point of watching.
This is a recording, albeit incomplete of the band playing at Aston University an the year of the 'Enemy' album release. Thanks to the original Dime uploader.
30 years down the line and I saw Ian McNabb again when he played in a friend's living room for his 50th birthday. After his set, I said hi at which point he mentioned The Stranglers shirt I was wearing and the fact that he was a fan. I mentioned that I'd seen The Icicle Works on the Friday of the Reading Festival ahead of The Stranglers playing on the Sunday. Clearly this lead on to the occasion on which his path crossed with The Stranglers leading to something of an audition for a potential replacement for Hugh. He confirmed that something along those lines did occur.... but unfortunately, it being a party close to Christmas, 24 hours later any detail that he did impart on this event was erased from my memory!!
Ian McNabb didn't land the job as we all know, and to be honest, I don't think that he, or any other established, known musician would have been the right move for The Stranglers.
The Icicle Works are playing again with Ian and Chris Layhe (the original bass player).
Artwork: https://we.tl/t-vhCDEcXEttHKR1Df



Nice post Adrian Ian McNabb supported the stranglers at Brixton Academy 23rd July 1991.
ReplyDeleteDid he? I have no recollection of that despite being at that gig!! :) Not the first time that my recollection of a Stranglers gig has been impaired mind!
ReplyDeleteHi Adrian yes he did I was there he came on stage with his guitar said I'm Ian from Liverpool. Only time I've seen the stranglers in London.
ReplyDeleteCan't remember what songs he sang it's been a while ago.
ReplyDeleteSorry it was 23rd June 1991
ReplyDelete